Stop Gesture after Delay

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:57 AM
Using StrokIt, one of the features that I found useful was to have the gesture reading stop if you kept the right-mouse button down, but didn't move the mouse for 500mS or so.  That way you could still perform a right-click/drag operation even if you forgot to hold down a key to ignore the gesture.

Otherwise, great progress so far and it is very nice to have this functionality back in Vista/Win7...
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2009 at 2:10 AM
catucker,

I've also contemplated adding this feature. I've hesitated till now because I have big plans for plugins that require unlimited gesture lifespans. Currently in source control there exists the ability to allow the user to "shake" to cancel a misdrawn or mistakenly drawn gesture, which is the traditional method for canceling gestures. Now while you can't continue with the default implementation of the right-click and drag operation (after a "shake" to cancel) in Windows (such as having options of how you want to manipulate files in the filesystem after you drop a file), that ability is coming soon. I could leave it up to the user to deceide if they want to use a delay to cancel a gesture or by using the shake, I think once myself or other developers write plugins that depend on the ability to have gestures with unlimited lifespan, the "delay to cancel" feature would need to be reevaluated. Your thoughts?

btw, I really appricate your thoughts and opinions on High Sign!

Dylan Vester
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM
I've honestly never knew the shake to cancel feature existed and I think that it will work just fine to me as a replacement to just waiting - it is more active at least and allows for the most flexibility in gesture add-ins later.

The biggest thing that I miss is being able to right-drag files... but when the Gesture Capture features are implemented, this will resolve that issue.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of gestures would you use that would have unlimited (or really long) lifespans?  Password Gestures?

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM
catucker,

Currently I'm working on a plugin that mimics the new Aero shake feature in Windows 7, while my implementation won't allow shakes (cause that's used for cancel), what it will allow is for the user to draw a spiral (or any other gesture) on a window and have that window attach itself to the mouse so that you can move it to another screen or around the current screen, then when the user draws another gesture (while still holding the mouse button down), he can interact with that window and do things like maximize it on a different screen, minimize every other window, make it stay on top, or just shake to cancel the whole thing and the window will return to original state it was in. To do this, I need to have two things, first, the ability to draw gestures for as long as needed, and second, the ability to recognize gestures in real-time (as you draw). The first one is done, the second one is coming very soon.

What do you think?

Dylan Vester
Feb 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM
I've not played with the gesture features in Win7 (Though I am running it at home), I think that is a very cool idea - especially with touch or stylus inputs.

The biggest thing that I run into is that I have a limited grayware memory for various gestures - I tend to mix and match - so I end up using only a few gestures for very common activities (i.e. down-and-left to minimize, 'L' to close a child window/tab, 'Q' to quit a program ) though I'm sure some of this is that I stick with global actions and haven't created gestrues that are application specific.  With more control over that (and a plug-in arch, to boot) I could see a few things changing - for example, gestures that are specific to Visual Studio and work with it's add-in model, etc.

-Craig