Can HS throw windows around?

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM
That would be a brilliant feature - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PROGRAM!

Basically I got three monitors in front of me...

What would be a super feature, is like minority report... is it possible to just throw a window to the left screen with a gesture and also to the right screen?
also from the far right screen, if i want to send it to the first screen in the row of 3, do an extra long gesture as such and the window can do a vista style fade get thrown across the the middle screen and settle down in the far right screen (vice-versa)... it would make using multimonitors a joy!!! i got ultramon running and thats ok but you have to click the button and select what screen you want to send it to...

if there was an option that can say also take the screen size into context... so say you got a 1920 in the middle and a 1600 on the side, by using a slightly different gesture, we could have the window thrown across but then resize to the ratio of the screen size as such....

pretty please?

it'd be the first program to do this sort of thing... and you can imagine the uptake and the uproar it would cause... afterall - minority report was the movie that introduced multitouch to the masses... and taking this approach and applying it to HS would surely make this program a legend in the base tools everyone uses!

thank you for this wonderful program... please please take it to the next level!!!

yours,
S.
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM
SXS,

Hi there! Thanks for your positive feedback on High Sign. We're actually just starting to work on almost exactly what you're describing. I too use a multi-monitor setup and have a need to move windows around between them. We've been exploring the technical challenges behind "throwing" a window around. It's not so much the throwing that's the problem, it's whether or not we can make the window draw smooth enough enough as it glides to it's new destination. In the short term we should have a plugin that will simply "teleport" the window to a new monitor, and we'll keep you updated on any progress made on the ability to throw a window. I agree that it would be REALLY COOL.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I just wanted to ponder the problem before I replied.

Thanks again for your feedback and please, keep it coming.

Dylan Vester
Mar 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Dylan,

Not to worry about the delay in response, we all have our regular daily chores in life we need to get on with... :)

That's great news!!!! I truly believe that HS is the 'PERFECT' base to have this kind of functionality...

I don't know if you have noticed, but in Windows 7, they have a few gesture based features, the notable one being the window clear-up feature, where one would shake his current window, and the windows around would

automatically get minimised... again a truly useful feature....

There are many gesture based tools out there, but none as 'microsoft' interface like as HS, i love it, its small, clean code and just brilliant for the base of major enhancements to windows useability!

I too am a developer, granted not as advanced as some of the geniuses on Codeplex but I thought about a way of how this could be simulated...

In vista, it is possible to take the window as a image buffer of some-sort i believe, a bit like RocketDock's window container ability where one can still see the window running (like in Vista when you hover the mouse over a taskbar app and you see a tiny version of what the screen is currently doing).... if it was possible to use that concept but at a larger scale and then one could quite possible hub off the vista framework as such and using

some mathematics based velocity-sine algorithm could emulate an exponential speeding window and the deceleration of sorts to the point where it settles, one could even argue it may be possible to base it on the right-click, so take you've thrown the window, sweeped the mouse to the left and abruptly stopped - this is detected and window starts flying, depending on the velocity of the mouse move you could pitch the angle even and then once the steam of the velocity runs out then the window could slowly start decelerating but still be moving as such, in the delta's direction, and then only stop once the right mouse button is no longer depressed....

Just a suggestion of course...

I guess control of the window, and simplicity to become second nature is key to pulling this off with a mouse...

Also the simulation of the windows 7 feature should be easy enough, but one could make take it further and rather than cumbersomly just make non-focused windows dissapear - the windows behind could become objects which are sensitive to the focused window being shaken, and maybe those windows could be pushed around to left-right monitors or even up-down monitors for those well-off individuals who like to simulate the 'Swordfish' screens layout at home/work...

So much flexibility - I guess once the knowledge of Vista's window gfx buffers is tapped - the options would be limitless...

I'm keeping my fingers and me toes seriously twisted and crossed on this....

Being a member of quite a few hardware forums, just a word or two from me could very well bring CodePlex's hosted HS to the front-news in every major forum...

I'll keep it shut for now... I now know you're on the case Dylan - I'll be watching with baited eyes....

A million thanks!

S.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.