High Sign Roadmap

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2009 at 3:23 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2009 at 3:33 AM
Early Adopters,

I wanted to start a new discussion to talk about some of the ideas and directions I'm toying with for High Sign. I haven't spent much time talking about who I am, and what my interests are, and I think now would be a good time. I'm a 22 year old .NET developer that for the last four years have been doing web development as a career and a hobby. In the last 6 months, my interests have shifted to offline development due to the work that I've been doing at my day job (system integration, massive batch data processing, mobile development). It's funny because it seems like everyone else is going from offline to online, which is cool, because I intend on heading that direction again. Anyways, what this has allowed me to do is explore a hobby I've been wanting to pursue for a long time, that being High Sign. This project continues to be an absolute joy to work on, and I plan on continuing it indefinitely, even perhaps into the commercial sector. I believe it has the potential to be welcomed by the mainstream, and not just us techie users. Mouse gestures are in a good position to break into the mainstream market due to the recent interest in touch screen devices, and alternate user interface concepts, and I'd like High Sign to be the leader in the area of mouse gestures. Currently High Sign is being developed as a Windows Forms application that targets Windows XP SP2 and beyond. Now while I don't want to drop support for Windows XP (and won't), I want to incorporate the latest technologies into High Sign, which currently includes .NET 3.5, Linq to Objects, and the latest features provided by the C# language. However, I'm currently beginning to feel limited by the interface elements available by Windows Form. I believe that High Sign is first and foremost a productivity application and it should be an extension of the user. Most of you will agree that mouse gestures being second nature to you after using them for a short time, and it becomes unnatural to use other computers that don't have them. Why shouldn't whatever application you're using to configure mouse gestures be just as second nature? Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) will allow High Sign to have a very visual configuration process and will enable High Sign to take advantage of graphical hardware acceleration, and some advanced interface concepts. I believe I will be able to showcase some of the amazing benefits in Microsoft's latest offerings and will expose your average computer user to mouse gestures and the benefits provided by them. I want the line between mouse gesture and operating system to be blurred and people to wonder why their computer didn't ship with High Sign.

I've always had a higher purpose for High Sign and these first alphas have been a chance to gauge user interest and uptake for the regonition and action/plugin engine. I hope you will continue to watch and use High Sign as it matures into a more advanced project. Please get involved and give me a hand, because I have a huge mountain to climb.

Dylan Vester