Compatibility with StrokeIt

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Hello Dylan,
I noticed in another thread you said something about importing StrokeIt configurations would not be possible without Jeff opening the source. I have a suggestion about that, although this is far from the most important task ahead of you :)

Two cool things about StrokeIt's configuration are that everything is plaintext and everything is referenced by names. So when I got serious about customizing my gesture usage I was able to write a simple program that reads the .cfg files into tables that I could query; so for example if I wanted to know "in what apps have I used gestures named Down-something" I could say "strokes -g Down" and get:

/ Down                             Default
                                        Winamp
                                        Windows Desktop

/ Down - / Up                   Default
                                        Windows Desktop

\ Down                              Default
                                        Outlook

... etc. So my point is: it's easy to read that information in, but to apply it to your configuration would require that you be able to map StrokeIt's action and gesture names to your equivalents, and that might require some up-front design.

P.S. I wrote my program in Perl but I could rewrite it in C# or whatever if that should prove useful...

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:23 PM
MKairys,

I believe getting the current actions and applications from StrokeIt wouldn't be a problem, but getting the gesture samples that you've recorded in StrokeIt is where it would get tricky. Also, matching StrokeIt actions with High Sign actions might be a little fuzzy. I definitely think this is something we'll explore before beta, but right now I have a 10 week project I'm working on for the State of Indiana and it doesn't leave me much time for High Sign. We need people like you to jump on the project and hammer out some code, so that the project moves forward even when I'm unavailable. :)

Nice job on the query tables though, may I ask what you used them for?

Dylan Vester
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM
getting the gesture samples that you've recorded in StrokeIt is where it would get tricky.

I've never added a gesture to StrokeIt; rather I've tried to match up with the default ones. Which raises an important point: I think it will be essential for HighSign to come with a default gesture set (and I think StrokeIt's is a good one).

I definitely think this is something we'll explore before beta

As I said, I don't think this is something that needs to be done any time soon, but it would be unfortunate if you ended up going in a direction that precluded it.

We need people like you to jump on the project and hammer out some code

Well, I have very little spare time myself these days, but if there were something you could hand off that's not on a critical path that I could take my time with, I could probably help out. I have VS 2008 and experience with C# and managed C++...

may I ask what you used them for?

Mostly to get my gesture assignments consistent across applications, so it would be easier to remember! Also to see what gestures I hadn't used yet.

Michael Kairys
Ann Arbor, Michigan