Is this project dead? If so, I'll give up and go back to StrokeIt.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM

I thought this was a great project, but now it looks like an orphaned one. I guess this is the difference between commercial and open-source. Former gets done, latter gets dumped. :(

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:56 PM

StrokeIt is doing very well these days. The bugs are all fixed and it has a new Lua scripting plugin.

May 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM

how come the source code available is like a year old. can you post the new code to the web?

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yea, I'd say the project pretty much died out.  I joined and did a few things with High Sign, but then I branched off into my own gesture app and I think it kind of drained the energy from High Sign's development  =(

However, I have picked up where I left off and have a finished app: http://www.strokesplus.com

It should be noted (as it is in the License.txt file that accompanies my app), that Dylan Vester is the genius behind the gesture recognition algorithm that he created for High Sign and without his work, my app wouldn't exist.  The recognition is phenomenal and yet simple at the same time; it blows the doors off any other recognition I've encountered and he deserves mega-kudos!

You're welcome to hop over to my site; I'm always available and willing to address issues or field requests.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Rob,

Great job on finishing your application! I read the help section on the site and was blown away by what you've accomplished. I will download it tomorrow and try it out. I've went back to using StrokeIt since the developer updated it to work on Windows 7, but if yours works well (which with your skills as a dev, I'm confident it will) then I'll make the switch. Anyways, very happy to see your application come to fruition. Keep up the awesome progress!

Regarding High Sign being dead, I will respond by saying that the beauty of open-source is that the project never truly dies, but people move on, and eventually someone else picks up where they left off, or they apply the knowledge gained from it to a new project, as is the case with Rob's work. For me, High Sign is no longer being maintained, and I've transitioned to other projects. I hope that High Sign will be seen as a positive contribution to the open-source community, and that in itself is all the satisfaction I require.

HOWEVER, one of the projects I'm working on is a Windows Phone application that incorporates the High Sign recognition engine, and will be available on the marketplace shortly.

Awesome work Rob!

Dylan Vester